A 3-year-old boy is alive because of his quick-thinking mother — and even quicker firefighters.
Eva Rich’s son Braden was eating fruit snacks in the car Friday, when he choked and passed out.
Luckily, they were right next to a fire station in Brookhaven, Georgia.
“You know, firefighters go from being a part of your community to your family in less than three minutes. I’m so indebted to what they do every day.”
“I plowed through the door and that point was just screaming for help,” Rich said. “My son at that point wasn’t breathing. He was really struggling. He was definitely blue.”
Rich said Braden is obsessed with fire trucks and points them out whenever they pass. So she knew something was wrong when she didn’t hear him Friday, and that’s when she saw him choking.
“From my perspective, I was on the ground praying to God that he would come back to me,” Rich said. “And he did.”
The firefighters said instinct took over.
“I started abdominal compressions and back blows, just alternating back and forth,” said firefighter Jeff Bramlett.
After just a few minutes, firefighters got Braden breathing again
“That was the greatest thing. He said, ‘you’re hurting me.’ Which is great, I’ll take it,” Bramlett said.
Rich said Braden is doing fine today.
“You know, firefighters go from being a part of your community to your family in less than three minutes. I’m so indebted to what they do every day,” Rich said.